How to make your home senior friendly?
How to make your home senior friendly
With age our body starts to wear out. The energy level, the mobility of the body, the day-to-day work all gets effected, and just out of the blue one day you suddenly realize that your home is less accommodating. Steps and loose carpets make moving about dangerous, especially if you have tight, arthritic joints. Toilets are suddenly too low, cupboards are too high, and steps and loose rugs make walking around dangerous. And that is the time when you realize that you need to make certain changes in your house to support your or your loved ones aging body. These adjustments however, apart from few of the major hauls, are mostly easy and inexpensive set ups.
Here are few of the changes which you should bring about in your house to make it more senior friendly:
- Swapping door knobs and faucets - Replace doorknobs and faucet handles with lever handles. Instead of relying on stiff fingers, you can turn them with your entire hand.
- Restroom Adjustments - Raising the toilet a few inches is a good idea. The extensor muscles that straighten your knees weaken as you become older, making it more difficult to stand up. Adding a bidet to your bathroom will allow you to get clean without having to twist.
- Bathroom Adjustments - To prevent needing to step up and over, install a curbless shower. Install a shower chair or bench so you may sit and wash while you're in the shower. A hand-held showerhead makes it easy to clean both yourself and the shower.
- Drawers Adjustments – Start keeping your silverware and utensils in the lower drawers instead of head high cabinets, so that you can easily take them out whenever needed without straining your muscles.
- Kitchen Adjustments - Kitchen counters and cooktops should have smooth surfaces. They're simple to clean and allow you to slide large pots and pans rather of lifting them. Choose a countertop that is darker than your cabinets so you can see what you're doing.
With few of the above given tips you can make the home more senior friendly and more accommodating for your loved ones.